WHAT IT IS
Group Machine is a application that can form groups from a list of names, or select one random name at a time from this list.
You determine the group size from either how many students you want in a group or from how many groups you want to exist.
When creating groups, It thus takes away the burden of debating with the students about who should be together or in certain groups. It also removes the angst of individual students of (not) being chosen by fellow students or from having to position themselves into a desirable group.
It requires Microsoft Excel! (2003 and up)
- Takes away your burden of debating with the students about who are in which group.
- No more anxiety amongst students of (not) being chosen by fellow students.
- Makes the group-creation into a fun thing for teacher and students alike
- Saves time that you can use on teaching or beginning the assignment
- Makes students more productive as they all have a chance of being picked out by the Group Machine
- Works on any computer with Excel installed.
- You don’t need to save or load when you close or start up
- Let all students in the class write a poem, afterwards use Group Machine to select a few random students to read theirs aloud.
- Use Group Machine to divide the whole class into 4-man groups, let the groups prepare a poster about a topic.
- Use Group Machine to divide the class into 2 teams, and begin a football match outside. Then use Group Machine to randomly select 1 student from each team to be goalkeeper or replacements.
- Use Group Machine to create 3-man groups, each groups prepare a self-chosen presentation. Then they give that presentation to the next group, who then practices and perform it.
- Can import whole lists of names at a time from Excel – create a class in 10 seconds.
- Can automatically form groups from a list of names
- Can deselect students that are not present
- Can define group sizes from number of students in a group or number of groups to create
- Can pick individual students
- Records when students are randomly picked – go through a whole class, one student at a time.
- Remembers everything as it’s closed and auto-loads it on startup.
- No copy protection